Founded in April 1860, Greenwood Christian had a humble beginning. The first building was a log schoolhouse purchased for $200. In 1868, a white frame building was built at Smart and Pearl Streets. Then, a brick building was constructed at Broadway and Smart Streets.
Through those years, the attendance and influence of G.C.C. grew and blessed many lives. The building on Broadway was added to with five new classrooms and a sanctuary renovation in 1941.
In 1960, 4.7 acres were purchased at 512 S. Madison Avenue. An L-shaped building was built and completed in 1963, and a permanent sanctuary added in 1971. The congregation continued to grow where in 1983 attendance reached the 700 mark. New classrooms, offices, and a gym were added and completed in the spring of 1984.
The Callon and Doub families gave twelve acres and another twenty were purchased to give us a thirty-two acre site at Worthville and Averitt Roads. With attendance always over 1,000 and little room to grow on Madison Avenue, the giant step to relocate once again was made after several years of much prayer and thought. Our first service was in the new building was on the Weekend of May 30/31, 2000.
In March 2002, the 2nd phase of the new campus was completed with the addition of the Gymnasium, Office Complex and Student Ministry Center. With the increase of ministry space and additional ministries our attendance has also grown to nearly 2,000 people each Sunday.
We have currently completed the construction of the next phase of our campus expansion with the addition of a new worship center, additional space in our children’s area and a brand new commons area. Greenwood Christian Church is looking beyond today to prepare to minister to the community into the future.