God through a life of worship.
together as disciples of Christ.
others to follow Jesus.
What We Believe
- Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of God who died for our sins and was raised bodily from the dead. (1 Corinthians 15:1-8)
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God to give direction and guidance to every believer. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Every person has worth as a creation of God, yet all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and are in need of a Savior. (Romans 3:23)
- Forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life are available to those who trust Jesus as their Savior and Lord. (John 3:16)
- Those accepting Christ should repent of their sin, confess their faith in Christ, and be baptized into Him. (Romans 10:9; Acts 2:38)
- The Church (made up of all Christ-followers everywhere) is the body of Christ on earth, empowered by the Holy Spirit to reach lost people with the saving message of Jesus and to equip them to become spiritually mature disciple-makers. (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Jesus Christ will return one day to earth and reign forever as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-18)
Founded in April 1860, Greenwood Christian Church hails from humble beginnings. The first building was a log schoolhouse, purchased for $200. In 1868 a white-frame building was built at Smart and Pearl Streets. Later, a brick building was constructed at Broadway and Smart Streets.
Continually growing and seeking to reach its community, the church purchased 4.7 acres on Madison Avenue in 1960. The first building was completed in 1963, with a larger auditorium added in 1971. As more families were drawn to the church, new classrooms, offices, and a gym were added in 1984.
By the year 2000, the church had once again outgrown its facility, and Greenwood Christian purchased land and completed “Phase 1” at the corner of Worthsville and Averitt, with the first services being held there on May 30-31, 2000. By March 2002, the second phase of construction was completed, adding a gym, offices, and a student ministry center. Then in 2009, the current 1,300 seat Worship Center was added.
God has continued to work in and through our church in amazing ways over decades of growth and expansion. As we prayerfully consider where God will lead us in our next phase of ministry, we are excited for you to join us in loving God and others, growing together in Christ, and inspiring life-change.